The Australian Association for the Study of Religions (AASR) is a professional organisation, comprised of teachers, academics, students and others with a knowledge and experience of religious traditions, which was formed in Adelaide in 1976.
The AASR promotes the study of religion by:
- producing the journal The Australian Religion Studies Review;
- holding an annual conference;
- circulating an e-list of upcoming international events, scholarships and academic positions;
- hosting a website including a regularly updated portal with latest news; and
- facilitating networks of likeminded scholars
The AASR is a member association of the International Association for the History of Religions. Many AASR members also hold membership in other societies representing specific disciplines and cross-disciplinary fields.
The Association aims to function as a meeting place where the study of religion in its broadest dimensions may be fostered. It owes a considerable debt of gratitude to the Charles Strong Trust for financial support.